Friday, July 11, 2008

the Commitment Nike exhibit


I think if I go to Nike's new Commitment exhibit, I will be moved to tears. I'm both a sap and a baller. Without knowing why, I usually cry when my favorite teams win championships. This exhibit documents so many amazing Olympic basketball moments, and I'm one who's old enough to really remember the original Dream Team. Beautiful.


But this exhibit is a tribute not only to the commitment of these phenomenal athletes.
It's equal parts basketball, patriotism and Nikeotism.


And I don't think I'll go. I love the commitment of these athletes. I love the sneakers.


But the exhibit makes me mad. The women's team is completely ignored. Is their commitment any less? Of course not. Will there be another Commitment exhibit set up that honors them? I doubt it. You'd think the women's team was wearing adidas for all the love they get! Does Nike care what this exhibit says to the girls of Harlem and beyond who visit? Does it have any commitment to them?

The Commitment exhibition runs from July 10 through August 25 and is open to the public Thursday through Sunday from 10am until 8pm.
111 Lenox Avenue
New York, NY 1002

thanks to freshnessmag for the pics
P.S.-the women's Olympic basketball team will be wearing hyperdunks

No comments: