Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Purplecrush Interview


by Mellany Sanchez, Intern, FSF

Just about brushing the magazine covers and headlines, Purplecrush is a duo that’s taking over the underground hip hop and electro scene. With their hit, “2 Many Hypebeasts”, an alternative to the phony tracks filling the radio, this group is only at the start of their game. Consisting of the idealistic couple, Isla, who sings and lays down raps, and Air Jared who creates beats and dj’s, these two are the right to each other’s left sneaker. Their sound and look is that of one never seen or heard before, they’re taking the music business to another level, and it’s best to believe they have their sneakers laced tight!

Who were your early inspirations?

Isla begins, Madonna, definitely! Air Jared says, Jimi Hendrix! They look at each other and smile, Prince!

Do you have any influences style wise? Music wise?

She says, Salt n Pepa. Hmm, he agrees, Retro 90’s, think Bobby Brown!

What’s your earliest memory of loving music?

For Isla it was, about 1982, I remember loving Madonna’s music. I was inspired by her videos, her style, her dances in “Lucky Star” and the “Borderline” video. “Flashdance was my bible!” Jared laughs, the soundtrack to Beatstreet. In Seattle, there wasn’t much access to hip hop music especially, and my mother had gotten me the cd through a school book order form. That was my first!

What made you want to sing? Make music?

Well, my mother’s a cabaret singer. I grew up in musical theatre. When I came to NY I worked and trained as a modern dancer, but I began inclining towards music. Jared boasts, well I’m a guitar player and I have a degree in music. Then I began to make beats and they were produced, and so I’m going further with that.

What do you wear when performing?

“The wonder woman in sneakers look!” Jared butts in to say “The wonder hypebeast look!” They laugh and she explains. “I’m weird, I’m not that girly.” I usually wear shiny leggings, wife beaters, and sneakers. I came into sneakers last year. “I hate heels, sneakers literally saved my life!” Jared wears sneakers, really loud wind breakers or hoodies. I question him and he agrees his signature is his Cazelles.


How is your love for fashion impacted by your love for music?

Isla believes, “It’s all about attitude!” It comes across in the music, and through what you’re wearing. “It’s the whole vibe you create.” Having a style and sound effect.

How was the process of making the album “The Emo Club”?

Just do it! Purplecrush has gone through so many phases and albums. We are constantly making music. Now we’re working on a rap e.p. It’s going to be 10 years of us dating, 6 years performing. Years ago, we helped build this scene. I ask, “So now you’re able to fall back on it?” Yes! You know? White kids can do hip hop too!

Any artists you’re interested in collaborating with?

At some point. Now we’re at the point where spending time on someone else’s track won’t be beneficial for us. But we do remix’ for people, I’ll drop an 8-bar rap verse on a track.

What are your favorite sneakers these days?

Isla says, hmm Reeboks! Also, my black and blue Air Jordan 1’s. They were a steal too, 20 dollars. They’re beat, and that’s why I love them! After giving his sneakers some thought, Air Jared replies, my Emericas; they’re hot pink. Also, The Game’s sneaker, the “Hurricanes”, they don’t get much credit, but they’re actually a really comfortable shoe.

If you could design the perfect sneaker, what would it look like?

Isla screams, Purple! And hightop, with thick laces. I ask, “Run DMC thick?” She says, no a little smaller, with black and white details and they’d say “Purplecrush” on them. Air Jared starts off simple, black and red, lowtops. His “simplicity” continues to- they’d have jewelry on them, and shinyness. And they’d make a noise when you walk! Seems simple has new standards.


Any upcoming projects for Purplecrush?

The rap e.p. We’ll be touring Europe, and now our album is available on iTunes. And… we’re getting married in October! It’ll be a huge concert, not your traditional wedding, but it’s us.

What’s important to you in life?

No matter what, for it to always be Purplecrush. To have an influence, especially through sexuality which I incorporate into our performance. To express yourself with your body, and still respect your identity.To take the focus away from cocaine. To bring the values of the 80’s, to now.

And personal quotes you live by?

He says, “Never underestimate the other guy’s greed” She becomes serious, “Free your mind, and your booty will follow!” All smiles.

No comments: